My mouth is already watering thinking about these dairy free chicken fajita enchiladas. They are ALWAYS a crowd pleaser and the homemade dairy free cheese sauce is addicting so you'll want to make extra.
- 10 medium 6 inch tortillas (gluten free optional)
- 4 cups enchilada sauce
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 tablespoon oil (avocado, olive, or grapeseed)
- 1 medium white onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro (optional topping)
- 4 avocados (optional topping)
- 1 lime (optional topping)
Dairy Free Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews (unsalted & unroasted)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1.5 teaspoons sea salt (add slowly based on personal taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven: preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Cook the chicken
- Boil: Bring a large pot to boil, add chicken breasts and cook for 40 minutes on medium heat. Shred with two forks.
- Instant Pot: Cook on a trivet with 1.5 cups of water in the bottom of the pot. Cook for 18 minutes with 10 minute natural release. Shred with two forks.
- Prep the vegetables: Thinly slice the red pepper. Finely chop the white onion. Remove the skin and finely chop or grate the garlic cloves.
- Make the dairy free cheese sauce: Blend together the cashews, water, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt and black pepper until creamy and well combined. Start by only adding 1 teaspoon of sea salt and slowly add up to 1.5 teaspoons depending on your personal salt preference - taste along the way to ensure it isn't too salty. This cheese sauce will be adding all the saltiness to the dish so it should taste salty but not overly salty. You should want to eat it with a spoon.
- Make the filling: On medium heat sauté the diced onion and red bell pepper slices in oil until the onion is translucent. Add the grated garlic for an extra minute until aromatic. Mix in the shredded chicken and 1 cup of the enchilada sauce.
- Prep the baking dish(es): The bottom of each baking dish should be lightly coated with a spoonful of enchilada sauce to avoid sticking.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of dairy free cheese sauce and two spoonfuls of the chicken filling mixture. Roll it up and place it in the pan with the fold facing down so the tortilla doesn't unfold. Repeat until you run out of tortillas or filling. Top the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and then drizzle on top the remaining cheese sauce.
- Bake: Bake at 400° F for 20 minutes.
- Add toppings: Top with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, sea salt (to taste) and drizzled lime juice (or mix it all into a simple guacamole!)
- Favorite gluten free tortillas: Maria and Ricardo's Quinoa Flour Tortillas from Whole Foods - as with many gluten free tortillas I find that I need to microwave them with a damp paper towel for ~15-20 seconds in order for them to be pliable. Corn tortillas also work but they are a bit more dense.
- Dairy free cheese sauce substitute: shredded cheese or your favorite vegan cheese.
- Favorite enchilada sauce: I love Cookie and Kate's homemade enchilada sauce, I double the recipe to make 4 cups worth and use gluten free flour - https://cookieandkate.com/enchilada-sauce-recipe/. You can also buy enchilada sauce at most grocery stores.
- Want to add more veggies? I also like to add 1 cup of riced cauliflower (fresh or frozen), chopped kale and mushrooms. Or simply chop up any of your favorite or leftover veggies and throw it into the mixture.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Dairy Free Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Fajita Enchiladas