You can save time and money by turning your kitchen into the neighborhood juice bar with this lemon ginger spinach banana smoothie. I don't know about you, but I've been searching for the perfect smoothie that isn't full of sugary fruit and doesn't taste like a salad.
I drink this smoothie at least twice a week. It's light and refreshing like a green juice, slightly tart from the lemon and has a hint of sweetness from the banana and honey. If it wasn't green you wouldn't be able to tell it had veggies in it!
It's super easy, healthy and can be prepped in freezer bags for a 1 minute breakfast.
This dairy free green smoothie was inspired by Daily Harvest's Ginger and Greens smoothie recipe and has evolved throughout the past few years. I prefer a lighter smoothie but if you want it creamier you can try adding avocado as Daily Harvest does.
Ingredient substitutions & variations
- Lemon - juice the lemon (2 tablespoons per smoothie) or if you have a high powered blender you can remove the skin and toss the flesh of the lemon right in.
- Apple cider vinegar - you can substitute for the same amount of lemon juice but it won't have as much of a tart flavor.
- Honey & banana - the sweetness of the smoothie comes from the honey & banana. The riper the banana the more sugar the banana contains and the sweeter the smoothie will be. The honey can be omitted, especially if the banana is extra ripe or you don't want the smoothie to be as sweet. On the other hand, if you want more sweetness you can add more honey and/or banana.
- Spinach - you can swap spinach for kale or other greens but the smoothie may taste more "green".
- Optional add-ins - Add your favorite collagen peptides or a plant based protein but know that protein powders can greatly impact the flavor.
A smoothie will last for 1-2 days in the fridge. Once the smoothie becomes warm it shouldn't be put back int he fridge. Once you are ready to drink it add some ice and re-blend or shake well.
You can freeze a smoothie for up to 3 months but I don't recommend it since the flavors won't be as fresh by the time the smoothie thaws and needs to be re-blended. Instead, freeze the ingredients without the liquid and when you are ready to drink the smoothie blend the frozen ingredients with the the liquid for a super easy smoothie. Freeze the smoothie ingredients for up to 3 months.
Lemons are a great source of vitamin c and soluble fiber which boots immunity, improves gut health, and helps optimize digestion. Ginger helps relive nausea, bloating, and gas. Ginger and lemon also contain antioxidants which prevent or slow the damage caused by harmful cells (free radicals) which boots overall health. Spinach is loaded with vitamins and minerals - vitamin a, vitamin c, vitamin k1, folic acid, iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, B6, B9 and E.
How to meal prep smoothie freezer packs
You can batch prep a bunch of the lemon ginger spinach banana smoothies in freezer bags which will allow for even quicker morning smoothies. You will not add the dairy free milk or apple cider vinegar until the smoothie is being blended. Apple cider vinegar looses it's taste if frozen and the milk is needed to blend the frozen ingredients.
You could also prepare and freeze the ingredients individually (bag of frozen bananas, bag of frozen lemons, etc.). I do this when I have leftovers that are about to go bad. Brown bananas could also be used to make these healthy gluten free banana bread muffins which pair well with this green smoothie on the go.
- Plan: You'll want to decide how many smoothies you want to prep and how many servings you want in each bag. Label each bag so you know what it is, the expiration date (~3 months from the day you are freezing) and how many servings are in the bag. I also put how much apple cider vinegar and milk I will need to add once I'm ready to blend the smoothie for convenience. Try and use freezer bags to ensure smoothie ingredients stay fresh in the freezer.
- Prep: Juice the lemons, peel and slice or grate ginger and cut bananas in half. Freeze the honey, lemon and ginger together in an ice cube tray - once the cube is frozen they can be added to the smoothie freezer bags.
- Bag & freeze: Add all the ingredients to the freezer bags (see recipe below), remove as much of the air as possible, seal and freeze.
- Blend: Once you are ready to make the smoothie remove the smoothie bag from the freezer and check the expiration date to ensure the ingredients are still fresh. Place the frozen ingredients into the blender with the dairy free milk and apple cider vinegar. Blend until smooth. Enjoy!
More healthy breakfast recipes
I hope you love this lemon ginger spinach smoothie! If you make it I’d love if you could leave a rating & connect with me on Instagram @passthesprouts!
Lemon Ginger Spinach Banana Smoothie
- ½ banana 45 grams fresh or frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk alternative 236 grams
- 1 inch ginger grated or sliced thin (16 grams)
- 1 cup spinach large handful 55 grams
- 1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar 14 grams
- 1 teaspoon honey raw 20 grams
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 3 cubes ice cubes
- Prep the ginger & juice the lemon: Remove the ginger skin with a spoon or knife and thinly slice or mince the ginger. The juice the lemon.
- Blend: Place all the ingredients into the blender and blend until there is a smooth consistency. Enjoy!
- Want to use a whole lemon? If you have a powerful blender like a Vitamix, you can cut off the bitter skin of the lemon (like you would an orange) and toss in the flesh of the lemon instead of juicing it.
- Apple cider vinegar substitute: you can substitute for the same amount of lemon juice but it won't have as much of a tart flavor.
- Want more sweet or less sugar? The sweetness of the smoothie comes from the honey & banana. The riper the banana the more sugar the banana contains and the sweeter the smoothie will be. The honey can be omitted, especially if the banana is extra ripe or you don't want the smoothie to be as sweet. On the other hand, if you want more sweetness you can add more honey and/or banana.
- Spinach substitute: you can swap spinach for kale or other greens but the smoothie may taste more "green".
- Optional add-ins: Add your favorite collagen peptides or a plant based protein but know that protein powders can greatly impact the flavor.