Even my toughest critics (the family) were shocked that these crispy buffalo chicken egg rolls are dairy free and guilt free. I had to ward everyone off from the final few so I could snag some photos.
What's the hidden veggie? ... butternut squash! Serve with a dairy free ranch and brace yourself for the crispy, creamy, cheesy goodness.
Want to make them gluten free? You can make your own homemade gluten free egg roll wrappers.
Which kitchen tools are needed?
- Air fryer or sauté pan
- Tongs or something to flip the spring rolls and transfer them
- Medium mixing bowl
- Sauce pot
How to roll egg rolls like a pro
- Place an egg roll wrapper in front of you like a diamond filled with ~3 tablespoons of the buffalo chicken mixture across the center.
- Wet all 4 sides of the egg roll wrapper. Fold the bottom corner up over the mixture until it's fully covered.
- Fold in the left and right corners so that the tips of them touch.
- Finish by rolling the mixture up towards to the top corner. Cover with a wet paper towel until you are ready to cook so the wrappers don't dry out.
For more tips - check out this article.
What makes these spring rolls healthy?
Everyone has different opinions on what makes something "healthy" but my personal definition includes being plant centered, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free (using natural sugars). Typically, buffalo chicken dip has loads of dairy & egg rolls are usually fried in canola oil which don't aid in optimal health so I made some swaps.
- Replace saturated fats with monounsaturated fats - dairy products and most frying oils (ie. canola oil) are a main source of saturated fat (bad fat) which raise bad cholesterol levels and make us age quicker. Avocado oil and cashews are mainly monounsaturated fat (good fat) which lowers the bad cholesterol levels and provides vitamin E. There's no mayo, no cream cheese, no blue cheese, no sour cream... and your taste buds won't even be able to tell the difference.
- Use a buffalo sauce with no added sugar - I love this one from Whole Foods.
- Butternut squash - full of antioxidants (vitamin C, vitamin E and beta-carotene) which reduce inflammation and slow cellular damage.
- Buy high quality chicken - when you eat meat you are also consuming whatever the animal was fed or medicated with. Do your research to know how the chicken was cared for. I aim to buy chicken that is never given antibiotics or added hormones, pasture raised, humanely raised and USDA organic. To simplify things, I've been purchasing my meat from ButcherBox for years so that I always have the highest quality meat right in my freezer. It makes meal prep super easy!
How to make homemade gluten free egg roll wrappers
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any pre-made gluten free egg roll wrappers. So I make them homemade! I use Nicole's Gluten Free Egg Rolls recipe on her Gluten Free on a Shoe String blog! I usually triple the recipe to be able to make 20 spring rolls because it can be difficult to roll out super thin by hand or I double the recipe and use my pasta maker to more easily roll out thin wrappers. The thinner the wrapper, the crispier it will get!
3-4 days in an air-tight container in the fridge. To reheat lightly coat with avocado oil and re-fry in an air fryer or saute pan until warm and crispy.
Yes, you can easily freeze cooked or uncooked egg rolls for up to 4 months.
Cooked: Freeze in an airtight container or freezer bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge or skip right to re-frying in a pan or in air fryer until warm and crispy.
Uncooked: Place the uncooked egg rolls separated on a flat surface in the freezer until frozen. Then you can place them together in an airtight container or freezer bag. Freezing them separately at first ensures they don't stick together. Do NOT thaw before frying. Follow the cooking instructions in the recipe below until crispy (since they are frozen the cook time will be longer).
A lot of people (including myself) use "egg rolls" and "spring rolls" interchangeably. However, egg rolls are typically crisper and fried. Spring rolls are typically made of a thin raw rice paper. Here's a great article with more info.
Looking for more savory recipes with dairy free "cheese" sauce?
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas - Mouth watering with hidden veggies and a simple dairy free cheese sauce. Top with guacamole and avocado! Always a crowd pleaser.
Vegan Enchiladas - Savory black bean and mushroom filling with an easy dairy free cheese sauce. They taste even better the next day when the sauce sinks into the tortillas. Great meal to make ahead.
I hope you love these dairy free buffalo chicken spring rolls! If you make them I’d love for you to leave a rating & connect with me on Instagram @passthesprouts!Print