This healthy, gluten free, veggie loaded fried rice is packed with flavor, great for meal prepping and always a crowd pleaser. It is super versatile, you can easily swap out the protein and veggies with your favorites or whatever you have as leftovers in the fridge.
This healthy, gluten free, veggie loaded fried rice is inspired by my uncle Saab who makes that BEST fried rice. It's one of my favorite comfort foods because it reminds me of family reunions, laughs and heartfelt conversations. My uncle Saab and cousin Krissy taught me that the most important thing when making fried rice is how you layer all the key ingredients together (vs throwing it all into the pan at once) and that the rice shouldn't be fresh or else it will get mushy.
Which kitchen tools are needed?
- Large pan
- Chopping board
- Rubber spatula
- Whatever you need to cook your rice & protein of choice
How to store fried rice:
Freeze: I like to freeze in individual portion bags for up to 3 months. To reheat place frozen rice in a pan on the stovetop and cook on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until hot. If you prefer to microwave you can place in the microwave covered by a damp paper towel until hot.
Storage: Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Healthy Veggie Loaded Fried Rice (gluten free)
- 2 cups medium grain white rice cooked and chilled
- 1 pound cooked protein of choice shredded chicken, ground turkey, ground beef
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 large garlic cloves minced or grated
- 1 small vadalia onion finely chopped
- 1 cup red or green bell peppers finely chopped
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms diced
- 2 cups broccoli cut into small florets
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled & minced or grated
- 4 tablespoons gluten free tamari
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes omit if sensitive to heat
- 2 chicken eggs scrambled separately
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook & chill rice: Cook rice according to package directions and set aside to cool in the fridge. Ideally the rice will be a day old but if timing doesn't allow just try and keep in the fridge for as long as possible. Fresh rice can get mushy where older rice retains it's shape.
- Prepare all vegetables & proteins: Cook chicken or protein of choice and set aside. Cut all veggies and set aside. Cook scrambled eggs and set aside.
- Sauté & layer the flavors: First add the avocado oil and garlic on medium heat and sauté for about 2 mins while or until fragrant. Add vadalia onion, paprika, chili powder and red pepper flakes and sauté for 2 mins or until onions start to turn translucent. Add green onions, broccoli, carrots, pepper and mushrooms and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add shredded chicken (or protein of choice), ginger and tamari and sauté for 3 minutes. Gently fold in rice and scrambled eggs until combined. You may need to add a little more tamari to give the rice more liquid if it is having difficulty combining. Top if off with some ground black pepper. Enjoy!